I hoped you enjoyed reading Expert Interview with Jeffrey Dobin: Pursue Your Passion, the first of a two-part mini agent interview series. Jeff’s story is filled with many tidbits that will help you as you look to break down the barrier of entry into the sports industry. From Jeffrey Dobin, Managing Partner at Athlete Advocates, we learned the following:
1. Pursuing advanced educational degrees not only sets you apart from the competition but also gives you more time to gain valuable sports internship experience that may not have been afforded to you during your undergraduate career.
2. Participating in a diversity of internships will give you more exposure to areas of the sports business you are considering for full-time positions.
3. Establishing a solid network of contacts can act as a springboard to launching your own business right out of school.
4. Following up is the key to successful networking. Once you establish a relationship with someone, you have to nurture it.
5. Latching on to a handful of mentors will help you connect all the dots as you look to make your mark in the sports industry. Their insights and advice are invaluable to living out your passion.
6. Treat your internships like interviews. Bring your “A” game every day, and be prepared to out-hustle your peers.
7. Never get comfortable when interning. In other words, avoid distraction at all costs and work as hard and efficiently as possible.